Maharaja’s college, Ernakulam is the only autonomous college under Government sector which was established in the year 1874. The college is credited with ‘Academic Autonomy’ in the year 2014-15. The Department of Chemistry, Maharaja’s College, Ernakulam, came into existence in the year 1935. At present the department offers four post graduate courses and two undergraduate courses. The department comprises of 25 teaching faculties and 270 students and is the biggest department in Kerala under Mahatma Gandhi University..
Over the years, many eminent personalities emerged from the department who made mark of their own in the field of Chemsitry and thereby contributing immensely to the growth of study in chemistry thereby cultivating a group of professionals who later went to spread their wings to different branches contributing to the community in their own way..